Thursday, July 2, 2009

A new adventure






We are off on our next adventure. This trip will last 2 months and all three of the kids are with me as we depart for our first destination, London. As luck would have it, my dear friend Hilary is traveling to London on business and so we have arranged to sit together, or more precisely, we are hoping to sit together although we were unable to book seats together through BA’s online check in (which by the way needs a pretty major redesign). More disturbing, is the fact that I am unable to reserve 3 seats together for the kids and they will be strewn about the aircraft unless I can enlist the assistance of the woman at SFO check-in. We arrive at the airport and strut boldly to the Club World check in desk (truth be told, I always feel mildly giddy as I approach the Club World check-in in anticipation of the finger sandwiches in the lounge) , the kids smile brightly but remain absolutely silent until spoken to by the agent (as instructed), and with their natural charm and full use of my nervous , slightly needy but terribly polite mother of three well-groomed children persona I have perfected over the years, the kids are magically upgraded to Premiere class and seated together. A good start.

Soon enough Hilary joins us for some pre-flight magazine shopping and we board the plane through the special door (never grows old) and bid adieu to the kids as we climb the stairs to the upper deck where smiling flight attendants await us. We sweet talk a kind gentleman into swapping his window seat next to me for Hilary’s aisle, and offer to buy him drinks all the way to London, how drole since drinks are free in Club World and the three of us have a muted slightly elitist giggle together about that, before we settle in for the 10 hour flight.

Now for those of you who are not yet so completely accustomed to executive transatlantic travel, you will appreciate the euphoria I felt as I was handed my “wash bag” and broke the seal to investigate the riches within. You will also appreciate my disappointment at discovering that BA no longer offers Molton Brown beauty products but now provide a much inferior Elemis line of eye depuffer and lip salve. Needless to say matters took a turn for the worse from there. When Helena took our dinner order, there was no Chicken Korma left nor any of the Avocado and Crab salad appetizer, and I can honestly say that she did not appear the least bit embarrassed or upset. Hilary wisely requested her choice of dessert with her second choice of main course and Helena informed us that there was “plenty enough for everyone” and “absolutely no need to pre-order”, intimating I felt, that we were a little greedy. I decided to drown my sorrows in bubbly and enjoyed several glasses of champagne and some lovely macadamia nuts which restored my good temper. Hilary and I chatted away like school girls for the first 4 hours and then popped our sleeping pills for some rest. I LOVE AMBIEN!

I awoke to the smell of hot buttery croissants and brewed tea, and after a little more chatting with Hilary we were off the plane where I was reunited with Chloe, Justin and Livvy, and whisked through the Fast Track immigration queue and into the waiting arms of my cousin Sandra who was there to collect us.

After some fierce hugging and a rather skillful packing of 5 large rolling duffle bags into the boot of the jeep under Sandra’s direction, we were off to her chic home in Chelsea. We dropped off the bags, did a quick change and headed on foot down the Kings Road in search of lunch. It was without a doubt the single hottest day I have ever spent in London and so after a bite and quick visit to the Saatchi Gallery to see the amazing wax Arab war veterans moving wheelchair installation (yes you read it right please see photos) and watch Livvy's fashion magazine poses on the exhibit floor, we headed to the Hurlingham Club (think family swim and tennis club but very English) where Livvy and Justin swam in the pool while Chloe, Sandra and I enjoyed the grounds while sipping sparkling water and catching up. BBQ supper in the garden with Andrew (Sandra’s hubby) and Laura (youngest of their 3 fabulous daughters) followed by a jetlagged first night sleep. All in all, we are off to a great start!

3 comments:

  1. The spoils of the travel bag...LOVE IT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm seriously thinking of boycotting BA until they get the wash bag contents back up to standards that are internationally acceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed my ass off about the lack of Molton Brown in the travel bag. Seriously - what are they thinking?!? LOL.

    ReplyDelete